A big reason to live in Virginia is the weather. We have all four glorious seasons. Sometimes within a few days. A week ago my area saw three inches of snow. A few days later it was 80 degrees. As they say, if you don’t like the weather in Virginia wait 15 minutes and it will change.
Virginia is in the middle of everything. 50% of the US population is within a day’s drive of Virginia.
If you love the mountains and the beach, Virginia is where you want to live.
The economy in Virginia is at the top in the nation. Our unemployment is low, our General Assembly always balances the budget and we have plenty of growth. (We don’t need Amazon in Northern Virginia.)
Colleges and Universities in Virginia are top notch. Kiplinger has named twelve Virginia among their list of good values for a good education with low debt at graduation.
- University of Richmond (33), Average debt at graduation: $27,670
- Christendom College (75); Average debt at graduation: $27,005
- College of William and Mary (73); Average debt at graduation: $26,400
- Liberty University (139); Average debt at graduation: $21,474
- University of Virginia (52); Average debt at graduation: $24,598
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (160); Average debt at graduation: $28,884
- Washington and Lee University (9); Average debt at graduation: $26,397
- University of Mary Washington (290); Average debt at graduation: $19,444
- George Mason University (300); Average debt at graduation: $30,132
- Christopher Newport University (229); Average debt at graduation: $30,451
- Hollins University (278); Average debt at graduation: $34,414
- James Madison University (221); Average debt at graduation: $28,407
In addition to that, Virginia has 3 of the top 40 public schools in the nation, UVA (ranked 2nd), William and Mary (6th ranked) and VA Tech at 27th. You can’t throw a rock without hitting a good public or private university in Virginia.
Forbes has ranked Virginia the top state to do business.
If you love good wine and beer, Virginia is the place to be with over 280 wineries and 206 breweries. Loudoun County alone has 44 (16%) of Virginia’s wineries.
Music has always been a big attraction in Virginia, the home of country and bluegrass music. Loretta Lynn and the Carter family began in Virginia as did Ralph Stanley. Come to Virginia and follow the Crooked Road to hear some great music.
Virginia has some of the best food in the country from our BBQ to our seafood and our Black Angus steaks, good food is to be found all over the Commonwealth.
We have fast horses (Steeple chase, jumping and polo) and fast cars in Virginia for NASCAR fans with three Speedways in the state.
In Virginia you can live in the big city or way out in the country far from neighbors.
Virginians are patriotic and we support our troops, always. There are 20 military bases representing all branches of military service.
We are The Commonwealth of Virginia and not just another ‘state’.
If these aren’t enough reasons to be a Virginian, find more here.