This year 2,900 students applied for admission to Thomas Jefferson High School For Science and Technology, 487 students were accepted for the class of 2018. For the third year in a row, Rachel Carson Middle School in Herndon sent more students to TJ than any other middle school. At Carson 239 students applied to TJ, 178 of those were semi-finalists and 84 were admitted. That was a large increase over last year when Carson sent 63 students to TJ. Below is the list of the other middle schools that sent large numbers of students to TJ. The list includes the number of students who applied, the number of semi-finalists and the number admitted.
2. Rocky Run Middle School, Chantilly: 179 tested, 133 semifinalists, 56 admitted
3. Longfellow Middle School, Falls Church (Fairfax County): 166 tested, 126 semifinalists, 54 admitted
4. Kilmer Middle School, Vienna: 165 tested, 106 semifinalists,32 admitted
5. Frost Middle School, Fairfax: 103 tested, 67 semifinalists, 23 admitted
6. Lake Braddock Secondary School, Burke: 89 tested, 58 semifinalists, 15 admitted
7. Jackson Middle School, Falls Church (Fairfax County): 74 tested, 42 semifinalists, 12 admitted
8. Twain Middle School, Alexandria (Fairfax County): 81 tested, 30 semifinalists, 11 admitted
The list of middle schools that sent fewer than 10 students to TJ was not released by FCPS.
FCPS chart on admissions for the last three years. More here.