Two members of the House Freedom Caucus, Rep Mark Meadows (R-NC) and Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH), have filed articles of impeachment against Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein. Nine other Congressman are co-sponsors. They are accusing Rosenstein of refusing to turn over documents Congress has been requesting for nine months. From Vox.com:
For 9 months we’ve warned them consequences were coming, and for 9 months we’ve heard the same excuses backed up by the same unacceptable conduct,” Meadows said in a statement. “Time is up and the consequences are here. It’s time to find a new Deputy Attorney General who is serious about accountability and transparency.”
The resolution accuses Rosenstein of the following, also from Vox.com:
- Dereliction of duty on the part of Rosenstein for failing to recommend the appointment of a second special counsel to look into potential misconduct by the FBI and Department of Justice relating to the investigations into Trump and Hillary Clinton, including the FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) surveillance of former Trump aide Carter Page;
- Repeated failure to produce documents requested by the House Judiciary Committee and House Oversight Committee;
- Attempts to conceal facts in documents turned over because of heavy redactions, which the articles allege were done so “unnecessarily.” It contests the DOJ’s explanation that these redactions contained sensitive law enforcement information;
- Failure to provide a less-redacted version detailing the scope of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation; and
- Authorized improper FISA surveillance of Trump campaign aides.