Democrat candidate for Governor Ralph Northam has agreed to the following debates and joint appearances with Republican candidate Ed Gillespie:
- July 22: Virginia Bar Association
- September 19: Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- October: Southwest Virginia Debate hosted by UVA-Wise, the Batten School, and Southwest Virginia Technology Council
Seven Joint Appearances
- Government & Nonprofits: A Dialogue about Roles, Responsibilities and Perspectives hosted by Northern Virginia Ideas Exchange (NoVIE)
- Virginia Association of Counties Meeting
- NAACP Joint Appearance
- Voices for Virginia’s Children
- Loudoun Times-Mirror Town Hall Forum
- Multicultural Chamber Alliance
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation and James River Association Forum
Gillespie’s lists look a bit different, in June he accepted 10 opportunities to debate Northam:
- Virginia Bar Association Debate
2. WRIC-TV, WAVY-TV, WHAG-TV, and WFXR-TV Debate
3. Governor Doug Wilder Debate
4. The Center for Rural Virginia Debate
5. UVA Batten School and Southwest Virginia Technology Council Debate at UVA-Wise
6. Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce Debate
7. Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce Debate
8. Virginia Tech and WDBJ-TV Debate
9. Radio One & Miss Community Clovia Debate
10. Liberty University Debate
After reading SBT’s piece on how we’ve been lied to by our Republican politicians, why should I care how many debates take place? They are just going to tell us what we want to hear to secure our vote then do what they want while in office. Seems to me Gillespie is just whining for no reason.
Ah yes, another election season is on us. The ads, the promises, the debates. I can see it all now.
The community’s Suits will make their perfunctory appearance at the various Chambers Chase, strutting with all the pretentiousness their self serving social accord requires in the company of political super stars.
The rest of us will catch the 30 second summary on the evening news.
And don’t forget the endless geese cackling, as campaigns go all out to remind us get the vote out. Finalized by the rows of signs lining every corner like goose droppings in the grass.
In the end the blue cities will provide the votes, elect the new regime, and crow about their strong devotion to democracy. RoVa will go back to whatever it is that they do. And the VEC will provide the synopsis of one more boring low turn out election.
So much fun.
Fine, if you are so desperate to debate, I will debate you. Your mama jokes are a form of debate, correct?
Lets go waaaayyyyy back to primary season and remember that Gillespie refused to debate his opponents after the first debate, too. So Northam is just pulling a Gillespie.
Also, lets be honest. At this point, the debates don’t matter. Democrats are going to vote Democratic. Moderate Republicans are going to vote sober for Gillespie and Conservative will likely vote drunk for him since he is the only option other than Northam (thanks a lot Central Committee). The undecideds will remain undecided until they hit the voting booth and then pick at random (or play eeny, meeny, miney, moe).
Why yes I am grumpy about this, thanks for asking:-P