To conservatives who would be OK with a progressive, big government Republican as the 2016 GOP nominee: Let’s remember what happened last time we tried that.
1. Medicare Part D.
2. No Child Left Behind.
3. Auto industry bailouts.
4. Wall Street bailouts.
5. “…abandon the free market system to save the free market system.”
6. Nation building in the Middle East.
7. The PATRIOT Act.
8. Massive increases in military spending.
9. The creation of an entirely new Federal department. (Homeland Security.)
10. Doubling the National Debt.
We can’t afford to repeat the era of big spending, big government, interventionist conservatism that we saw unfold under the last Republican president. Hopefully voters will be more discerning in next year’s GOP primary. After all, we only get to make this choice once every four years.
Let’s choose more wisely this time.