When Del. Bob Marshall speaks, the barking moonbats of the Left, Libertarian anti-Deists, Middle of the Road Milquetoasts and affronted Establishment Prigs howl. Oh, how they howl and call names. When it comes to Delegate Bob Marshall’s Physical Privacy Act, HB 1612, all Virginians should cheer him for being right.
Special interest groups, their lobbyists and extremist social theorists want to re-define gender and sexual privacy. They are making up a new sex – Transgender – against the evidence of all science and the history of humankind. They browbeat politicians with accusations of prejudice, discrimination, and hatred when no such animus exists. They mock common sense decency.
Consider their shrill complaints.
• Bigotry, homophobia, transphobia against a vulnerable, protected special class of persons – Transgenders. Except, they’re just making that up as they go along. There are two, count ‘em – 2, genders. It’s settled science. The rare person with abnormal chromosomes and the predominant gender is decided by doctors and parents, isn’t the individual who wants to be a different sex. Transgender is made up. Like homosexual marriage – it’s just pretend. Yet, when pretend is politically correct – the peasants, you proletarian deplorables, had better salute it.
• It can’t stop men from going into the little girls’ room. Except, we can hold government accountable when officials promote men, supposedly transgendered persons, entering private spaces for women.
• It’ll cost Virginia business, like North Carolina. It’ll hurt Republicans. Except, there are men’s and women’s bathrooms, locker rooms and sleeping accommodations on school trips today. It’ll be exactly the same after the bill is law. Anyone who wants to boycott Virginia for keeping men out of the women’s privacy should please do so. Anyone who wants to vote against Republicans, if they have commonsense to pass the bill, should do so, also.
• No one is harmed by men in the women’s private spaces. Except, we have laws against sexual exposure and assault. Children can and will be harmed. How many crimes need to be committed before schools and government are made accountable for actually allowing them?
• It threatens Transgender students. Except, parents have a right to know if their children are so disturbed that they want to be another gender. That shouldn’t be the public school’s little secret.
• Holds schools and other government entities accountable to parents for any damages caused by letting men and boys go in the bathrooms, locker rooms and overnight bedrooms reserved for the privacy of women and girls.
• States the obvious for the common sense-challenged persons in authority that males and females should use their appropriate facilities with exceptions for minors who need assistance – like a little boy going to the bathroom with his mother.
• Has the Commonwealth recognize in law the settled scientific fact, and common sense knowledge, that there are two genders. The state may not re-define gender facts.
We have great compassion for any child who is so confused that he or she wants to pretend to be the opposite sex. That doesn’t allow for persons of one sex to expose themselves illegally or enter private areas of the opposite sex. The very tiny minority of sexually-disturbed children and adults in Virginia doesn’t justify imposing sexual misconduct on the overwhelming majority.
No one has a “right” to pretend to be a different gender – and make the state pretend, too. No one has the right to create another perpetual, victim identity group as a protected class of persons. Government doesn’t have the right or responsibility to re-define gender.
James Atticus Bowden is Chairman of the Board of Directors of The Virginia First Foundation, an organization focused on creating the best future for the Commonwealth. The Virginia First Foundation is dedicated to building a future Virginia which supports the rule of law and Constitutionally-limited government in a modern Judeo-Christian culture. We know that one state can lead others, and we want Virginia to lead the nation in supporting common sense family values. The Virginia First Foundation Inc. is a Non-Profit, IRS Code Section 501(c)(4), incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia.