The courts will handle Trump and the rioters – voters need to focus on what matters to their daily lives, which Democrats are ruining
Yes, democracy is under assault – but it’s not due to Donald Trump’s effort to stay in power and overturn the Electoral College in the 2020 electi0n, because we did have a peaceful transition of power to Joe Biden and Trump is out.
But with their sham 1/6 hearings, the Democrats are taking a page out of the totalitarian show trials of the 30s to use the Capitol assault on Jan. 6, 2021, to attempt to turn the national attention away from their disastrous policies.
I actually watched the so-called hearing Thursday by the special House committee, which was more like a staged documentary including TV-news style interviews with perpetrators and good guys. Part II of this mockery is Monday night.
It was great theater and if you’re a liberal who reacts to emotion, it was “gripping”
But in reality, Democrats know they are goners Nov. 8 in the House and stand to lose the U.S. Senate, too. They want desperately to ”Keep Trump Alive” in the minds of the voters and want to tie ALL Republicans to Trump and 1/6 denial — even Day One Trumpsters like me who wanted him to concede the election when the Electoral College voted on Dec. 13, 2020.
So, here are some facts to consider before drawing conclusions:
- The Capitol assault was a riot, and the folks who stormed it need to be charged, and some 862 people have been; 340 have pleaded guilty to various low-level criminal charges, 65 have gone to jail ,and 56 are in detention. Among those charged is a GOP candidate running for governor of Michigan and several police officers and local elected officials –plus, the famous Q-shaman guy with the Buffalo hat, who despite turning himself in voluntarily and being mentally disturbed, got 2.5 years in jail for his antics (none of which were violent)
- The committee selectively used video Thursday night of rioters breaking through windows and doors. In reality, many rioters entered the Capitol because police chose to open those doors rather than defend them.
- Few rioters have been charged with sedition despite the Democrat/media cabal depicting this as an “attempted coup.” On June 6, just in time for the Democrats prime time show Thursday, five members of the Proud Boys, including the group’s former national chairman, were indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of “seditious conspiracy and other charges for their actions before and during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021,” the Department of Justice announced The only other folks facing such charges was a cadre of 10 extremists, including one from Berryville, VA, and leaders of the Oath Keepers, who were trying to bring military weapons to the Capitol.
- The Sergeants of Arms of both the House and Senate, who served at the pleasure of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and then Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, were among those who nixed the Capitol Police’s request for National Guard assistance. Trumps Defense Department approved the request days before. Only when the riot ensued did Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Shumer request Guard assistance. Those sergeants have been relieved, as has the chief of the Capitol Police.
- There was no “carnage” at the Capitol that day. Seven people tragically died, four from health issues, including Capitol Police officer Brian Snick (whom liberals believe was murdered) and Ashley Babbitt, the Q-anon devotee from San Diego, who was shot dead by police after jumping through the window of the speaker’s office and two Capitol Police officers by suicide days later. In contrast, Democrats have looked the other way at the 2020 ANTIFA/BLM riots, in which 19 died, hundreds injured and some $1 billion in property was damage – and they laud illegal protests at Supreme Court justices’ homes.
- Trump, Rudy Giuliani and other cohorts who raised millions of dollars on the “Stop The Steal” effort did, in my view, stoke this riot and should be held accountable. Trump continues to live in luxury at Mar-a-Lago, raise money for his PAC and possible 2024 presidential run and speaks to rallies. Meanwhile, hundreds of the little people who backed him at that rally have had their lives upended – at least one suicide, and to my knowledge, Trump has done nothing to help these folks’ legal fees, and most of the defendants are using public defenders due to their low income.
However, what criminal charges could Trump & Co. face? The legal “Brandenburg” standard for inciting a riot, from a 1969 Supreme Court decision, is not what you say in social media or fundraising mailers or the media, but verbal speech “directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action” at a rally or gathering, and Trump and other speakers made no inciting remarks at the Stop the Steal rally that preceded the assault.
I suppose Trump & Co. could be charged with conspiracy to commit sedition, but it will be the courts, not Congress and the media, which determine their fate and under the Constitution, they have a right to a fair trial.
Another aim of this probe could be to gather evidence for DoJ to seek indictments for inciting a riot and test the Brandenburg standard in court. Any new laws Congress passes in this regard would not apply retroactively to 1/6.
In addition, the investigation’s evidence could be used by DoJ to indict or besmirch the reputations of many House and Senate Republicans, whom the Democrats believe were in cahoots with the rioters, perhaps in the hopes of turning their districts “Blue” this fall. These include, according to “Politico,” Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.), Mo Brooks (R-Ala.), Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.), Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.), and Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.).
Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney Thursday, one of two Republican dupes on the panel (Adam Kinzinger being the other), accused a fellow Republican, Scott Perry of Pennsylvania, of seeking a pardon from Trump, which Perry denied
The chair of the committee, Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, said in his opening remarks that “democracy was under assault” on Jan. 6, 2021. Cheney said Republican colleagues “are defending the indefensible: There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but your dishonor will remain.
But in reality, the courts are taking care of the rioters and will take care of Trump, Guiliani , et. al.
Congress’ prime time Spanish inquisition exaggerates 1/6 and is not about getting facts, but political gain and if unchecked could denigrate our democracy and the rule of law.
It seeks to criminalize conservative activism, so it’s Pelosi’s puppets, Cheney and Kinzinger, who will be dishonored. Hopefully, if we still have free and fair elections in this nation, voters will oust the liberal insurrectionists Nov. 8.